C&C Gaming Groups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cadfan's Journal

Go down

Cadfan's Journal Empty Cadfan's Journal

Post  tegeus Tue 21 Apr 2009, 00:19

Cadfan’s Journal

I figured I had better write some of this down in case I get killed and someone else comes looking for the children.

Our 4th Descent into Jzadirune
We are back again at St. Cuthbert’s temple. I marvel at the patience of the priests. For the past several days (I have lost track of the day and the time) we arrive bleeding or unconscious and they patch us back up and send us on our way. They have boundless confidence in our ability to find the children. My personal confidence is slipping. Tenkar needed the most attention this time his pallor was ashen when we brought him in to the temple, but after a few prayers he seems returned to his normal gruff self. He has an unshakeable faith which seems to sustain him.

Camlin seems happy, apparently he has made a breakthrough in his studies and now he can cast more spells. I swear he crawls through dungeons with a lantern in one hand and an open book in the other. We have sent Fonzig off to sell some of our finds from Jzardirune. It is a big change for Kurgan, we came here in search of the last gnome we last with some valuables. I guess Fonzig has proven his worth even to Kurgan.

Down we go
We are off again. There is no time for a long rest, the longer we delay the more likely we will not find the children alive. Kurgan and Alton stopped and changed some of their loot into gems to lighten their load. I have left most of my loot in the keeping of our hireling Briley.

I posed the question’ “Where now” to the group and was met with mostly blank stares. We have explored the dungeon thoroughly and found no clues. Kurgan was the only one to meet my stare and stated’ “Northwest lad”. His map shows a few of the Gnome doors we have not opened yet. My own map is not quite so accurate. The doors to the northwest proved fruitless, opening into more empty rooms with nothing but dust and spiders in them. Since we are in the area we will crawl through another of the tunnels made by the skulks.

Look out Skulks!
The tunnels came out in a large room near the Gnome Workshop. There was nothing of interest but I noticed a strange, straight shadow on the wall and once I pointed it out to the others sure enough we had found a secret door. The door opened and fog poured out at our feet. We could not see anything so Alton removed a ball from his magic bag and threw it in the room. Soon we heard the sounds of a snarling animal. Alton called it back and it was a badger. Suddenly Alton and Tenkar let out curses and readied their weapons figuring it was the skulks again I yelled “Skulks!” and swung widely and high. Just then 4 centipedes crawled out of the fog to attack us. I was so surprised I missed again before killing one. Alton stabbed one and Tenkar squished two with his Mace. Kurgan and Tenkar made light of my reaction to the bugs telling me that they thought humans could tell humanoid sized creatures apart from centipedes. Not my finest moment. The room beyond turned out to hold nothing. We went back to the gnome Tiervan’s workroom and Fonzig opened the door to a supply room. But there was nothing of interest in it.

The Drilling Machine
Kurgan pointed out that there was one tunnel near the entrance hall that we had not explored. All agreed we set out along the tunnel. It turned out to be very, very long and dark. At one point the rock we crawled through was obviously the footing of another room. Now at least we knew where there was an area to explore but we did not know how to get in there. My maps are getting harder to line up. I have to keep near Camlin who has the lamp and my sense of direction is going off from so much time underground. Thankfully, Kurgan’s innate Dwarven skills seem to be working and his map is still accurate. We stopped to talk over what to do next and Kurgan proposed using the dangerous Gnomish drilling machine. It was a statement of how desperate we are now that there were no objections from any of our Company. Fonzig activated the digger and after much trial and error he managed to get it to dig through a wall. In the new room we found the Gnome Key inscribed with the R rune. We had thought about having the digger go through to the room we had crawled under but now with the R key we could open the door in the room with the crazy, talking treasure chest.

Give me food
Camlin cast a spell on the talking chest that allowed us to understand its language or it understand us I do not really understand how it works. Mostly the chest kept asking for food. First in the form of spiders and rats and then coins I think. Alton gave it a bunch of cakes which it seemed to like. Anyway Camlin, Alton and Fonzig carried on a conversation with the chatty chest while the rest of us waited impatiently at the Gnomish door. I hope this is the door to the Dwarven deep because we are starting to get cranky with each other. Camlin learned that the chest has witnessed the skulks trading children to some of the “big ones” who were apparently like Kurgan and Tenkar but “bigger”. Humans, deep dwarves we will soon learn. The important thing is that we are on the trail of the missing children again.

The Lift
Beyond the door was a short hall to a platform suspended in a large, round room. The platform looks like it is made of wood. There were two Hobgoblins guarding the platform but Kurgan and Tenkar quickly killed them. I have had time now to scrawl some more notes and then we are going to try to figure out how to descend.
tegeus
tegeus

C&C Character Sheet
Name: Cadfan
Race: Human

http://www.losttraveller.com

Back to top Go down

Cadfan's Journal Empty Re: Cadfan's Journal

Post  tegeus Tue 28 Apr 2009, 04:54

Descent into the Depths
We have taken a breather after killing 4 Hobgoblins in a chamber deep within the earth. The gnomish ruins were strange but these Dwarven halls are grim and foreboding. I need to concentrate and not think about all of that rock overhead. We are really down deep. Kurgan pulled the lever and the wooden lift descended into the depths for what seemed an eternity. I have never been this deep into the earth and I wonder what sort of foul creatures we will encounter.
When the lift came to a stop we found ourselves in a room with one door. While I tried to disguise the fact that I was having trouble drawing a breathe someone located a secret door leading to a small room and other lever. This is likely the control to return the lift to the surface.

Stone Guardian
The door opened into a strange room with a 5 foot tall statue of a strange shape with four “arms”. There were also 2 cages hanging from the ceiling for no apparent purpose. This looks more like a torture chamber then a Dwarven Hall. Are we in the wrong place? We were all suspicious of the unmoving pillar and Fonzig decided to test if it was a creature by attempting to walk past it. The stone pillar immediately challenged him in what I took to be Dwarven. Kurgan and Tenkar attempted to reason with the creature, at least that is what they told me, but it seemed it wanted to block our entrance. The creature made to attack Fonzig so Tenkar moved between them but it attacked Fonzig anyway delivering a tremendous blow. Later Kurgan told me the guardian kept telling him that he was a betrayer. I wonder how the skulks get past this guardian. Just as we all prepared to attack the Stone creature an enormous Ogre came through a door to the south and attacked. Declaring that it was named Xukasus and that we were food it advanced toward us. Tenkar and Kurgan moved to attack the creature so I moved to help Fonzig. My first attack was a lucky strike that most of hit a weak spot because it stumbled and seemed injured. The hit made me lower my guard and before I was ready the creature stuck me twice with incredible force. I could hear things going well in the battle with the Ogre behind me so I ignored the noise and stuck well again destroying the stone creature. Turning I saw Kurgan finish off the ogre.

Oh Crap
The stench in the hall turned out to not just be the ogre. The room he emerged from was full of dung. I volunteered myself to search for another door and decided not to enter the room. I heard a lot of grunting and arguing and then a pair of my company came panting out of the room dragging an iron chest covered in dung. Alton’s sturdy stomach has apparently met its match as he claims he is no longer hungry. I thought I would never see the day. Fonzig seems to be taking great enjoyment in teasing Alton with dung he has scrapped off the chest. The chest turns out to be full of copper and silver coins – but what are we supposed to do with them? Tenkar and Alton ended up dragging it off to the secret room we found in the lift room. While they were doing that I noticed the outline of a door in the wall at the end of the hallway. With Fonzig’s help we managed to find the trigger and open the door.

Hall of the Dwarven Hero
Wow! Beyond the door is a huge hall as only the dwarves can make them (or so I am assured). There is a huge statue of some forgotten dwarf and two sets of huge doors. Strangely there were also 4 Hobgoblins in the room. Traditional enemies of the dwarves I am led to believe. Kurgan and Tenkar certainly seemed enraged when they yelled out battle cries and charged into the room. Fonzig also seemed incensed and he ran forward ahead of everyone else to attack two of the hobgoblins. I decided I best join everyone else so I charged one of the creatures and got in a killing strike before it had a chance to react. Then I ran across the hall and decapitated another hobgoblin while Fonzig distracted it. Feeling invincible I looked for more creatures to attack but the dwarves had killed the other two.
We all decided it was time for a rest and I feel exhausted now. But I feel we are close and it has filled me with a second wind. Kurgan is signalling it is time to push on.
tegeus
tegeus

C&C Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  tegeus Tue 05 May 2009, 05:29

Zenith Splintershield

We took a quick break in the Hall with the huge statue of a dwarf. Alton dug into his seemingly endless supply of cakes and handed them around. I am tired of dried beef strips so I took one of the cakes, not bad actually. While we were relaxing the ever energetic Gnome, Fonzig, climbed up the statue to see if he could remove the black gems it has for eyes. Makes me nervous, some things are not meant to be trifled with. Fonzig read some of the runes on the statue and let us know it was a statue of Zenith Splintershield – never heard of him. More importantly neither had Tenkar or Kurgan. Just as Fonzig was noting that there were pry marks on the statue near the eyes, Camlin called out that a hobgoblin was sneaking toward us from the northeast.

Hobgoblin’s Everywhere
Soon the lone hobgoblin became aware we had spotted him and on some signal we missed summoned many of his friends. Before we knew we were in a fight with hobgoblins and goblins coming at us from both directions. As I ran toward the hall to the northeast another door opened behind us and Fonzig was left to fight two hobgoblins alone. Camlin cast a spell putting most of the creatures in the hallway to sleep but soon more arrived. I charged one knocking him over and stabbing him. The hob swung madly at me and missed and I laughed in his face. I finished the one facing me quickly and then took out another hobgoblin. I glanced over and saw that Tenkar was finishing off a goblin with things well in hand though he was bleeding. Looking back into the main hall I could see Fonzig leaping around the statue keeping a hobgoblin at bay. Camlin and Kurgan were also there and it looked like they had taken out some of the creatures.

Skull-thumper
I ran back into the main room just as Camlin whacked a hobgoblin in the head with his staff. I was startled by the power of the swing and the crack was the sound of the hob’s head breaking open. Charging in I killed another Hobgoblin while Alton fenced with him. Then I turned and ran one through from behind. As quickly as it started it was over and there were dead Hobgoblins and goblins stacked all over. Everyone looks to have come through okay. Tenkar must have healed himself as he was no longer bleeding. Fonzig went right back to work on the statue and promptly snapped one of the gems in half. He made a joke about putting an eye-patch on the statue that brought some grins.

Read Guard
Everyone packed up to investigate the secret door to the north and Camlin and Alton took the gold and silver we stripped off the hobgoblins to the iron chest we found earlier. I decided to stay behind and watch the hall beyond the secret door to the southwest so we did not get ambushed again – I wonder if anyone heard me mention that. I guess not later Kurgan admonished me for wandering off alone. Sure enough just as I was starting to think my companions had been gone awfully long I spotted 2 hobgoblins approaching the secret door. I closed it quickly and moved to warn the others but slipped in some hobgoblin blood. When I got up the two hobgoblins were too close so I turned to fight them. I kept both at bay with wide swings of my sword before catching one in the belly, opening him up and killing him. The other hobgoblin moved in to flank me just as Tenkar arrived and menaced the hobgoblin. It turned to face Tenkar and Alton ran it through. Breathing a sigh of relief I thanked my rescuers and listened to what they had found.

Falling
Camlin announced excitedly that he could see “eye-lashes” on the southeast door. While everyone looked at him in askance he said he meant eye-holes. As we all turned our attention to the double doors we could hear a rasping sound like a metal bar being lifted. Tenkar opened the door and I spotted a lone hobgoblin standing at a bend in the hall. I charged him and killed him in one blow with Tenkar right behind me. As we continued around the corner we saw two more hobgoblins, standing right next to a pair of levers. They pulled the levers and the floor opened up. I grabbed for the edge of the pit but succeeded only in dropping my sword. I came to at the bottom of the pit with a metal spike slammed into my gut. Luckily my armour stopped it. I could see that Camlin, Alton and Fonzig struggling with one Hobgoblin above me at the edge of the pit. Kurgan and Tenkar were nowhere to be seen. Just as I prepared my spear for a throw, I looked up Alton came tumbling into the pit striking several of the spikes-hard. I managed to pull him off but he did not look good. Camlin kept shouting that he had a spell to get me out but I just wanted a rope. I threw my spear at the hobgoblin and missed completely. Fonzig tossed down a pouch with a Healing potion in it and I managed to get it down Alton’s throat bringing him back to consciousness.

Get me out of Here
With melee still going on above me I started pounding spikes into the pit wall in an attempt to get out but fell back into the pit. Just then Fonzig shoved the Hobgoblin into the pit killing it when it hit several spikes. Camlin called down that Tenkar was down. I started calling out for a rope. . .
tegeus
tegeus

C&C Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  tegeus Sun 10 May 2009, 19:01

Out of the Frying Pan...
"Heh, get me out of here", I yelled up to Camlin. Camlin seemed intent on using magic to get me out of the pit. First he offered me a potion of levitation and then a potion of spider climb. Instead Kurgan tied a rope off to the door and threw it down to me. Alton looked rather pale so I told him to clamber up on my back. Then I climbed out.

Kurgan took the potion of levitation and started to float over the trap when we heard a door close. A few moments later a surprised Hobgoblin walked into the room from the hall to the east. It was actually kind of funny to see his mouth drop open in surprise. He looked from the floating dwarf to his sleeping fellows to the south and hurried over to wake them. I threw my spear but completely missed (again). Camlin threw one of the tiles we found in the Evil Temple at the Hobgoblins but missed by more than 10 feet. Kurgan made it across and attacked the Hobgoblins, now numbering three as they started to wake. Kurgan killed one in his first attack.

Fonzig handed me the other potion and I drank it. Instantly I felt strangely light on my feet. I reached over to the wall and found it very easy to clamber along the wall over the pit. The hobgoblin yelped when he saw me coming and pulled another lever opening another pair of pits right in front of me. I clambered up on another wall and saw Kurgan trading blows with the hobgoblins. One of the hobgoblins fell improving the odds.

As soon as I was over the second pit I advanced on the pair of hobgoblins... make that one hobgoblin, with a powerful swing of his axe Kurgan felled another Hobgoblin. Leaving the last one to me, it was already bleeding and I made short work of him.

Time to Leave
I walked over and reset the first trap causing the closer of the two traps to close. As Tenkar made strange gurgling noises, Camlin yelled at me to reset the other trap. I reset that trap as well and we all gathered. Camlin managed to stop Tenkar's bleeding and fed him our last healing potion. Alive, conscious but groggy Tenkar had not lost his sense of humour remarking, "I need the number of that Dragon that ran over me!" Not sure what he means by number. It must be a dwarvish expression. Taking stock of how banged up we were we decided to leave, but not before rescuing our treasure chest and dragging it out with us. Hopefully the Hobgoblins will not be ready for us when we return.

Were back – and we need the healing
Reaching the city of Cauldron Fonzig went off to sell the gems from the idols eye and the huge battleaxe. The rest of us headed over to the Church of St. Cuthbert to get some healing. The acting High Priestess Jenya greeted us with her usual patience. Soon acoyltes were swarming about us, binding wounds and chanting prayers of healing. Once everyone was feeling better we updated Jenya on our exploits. She seemed genuine in her praise of our efforts and concerned over the discussion of slavers. After making generous donations (and receiving healing potions in return) we went over to our Inn rooms for the night.
tegeus
tegeus

C&C Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  tegeus Wed 27 May 2009, 05:02

I holed up at the Inn for the night and slept in a real bed. The next morning we all met up to split up the contents of the iron chest. I used all the copper coins to pay my Inn build and that of Briley and the stable fees.

Descent #5
We have descended again. The upper levels of Jzardirune and the lift were strangely quiet. I was expecting a trap and told everyone to be on their guard. Looking over I could see that everyone else was expecting the same. As soon as Alton opened the door to the corridor two Hobgoblins rushed out and attacked him. Tenkar chargeded forward and killed one. Kurgan and I were blocked out of the action but there was no worry, Alton killed the other hobgoblin with a single blow. Happy with his exploits he let out a mighty roar. Camlin was annoyed by all of the noise figuring we were announcing our presence. I told him not to worry, “They already know we are here.”

Infernal Forge
We voted and decided to check the secret door Kurgan and Fonzig had found when I was being attacked in the Hall of the Statue. The door led to another secret door which opened onto a foundry. The scene before us was one of Horror. A large hobgoblin was forcing a human and a dwarf to feed a forge with body parts. At first I thought the worst but they were not the bodies of human children. They looked to be the bodies of the hobgoblins we had killed the day before.

The hobgoblin seemed unafraid and challenged us, “Ahh, more slaves for the market?”

Alton swore at him and charged but missed. The hobgoblin ducked partially behind the forge so Kurgan and I ran around the other side to get at him from behind. I saw Kurgan stumble a bit and before I knew it I had run full into a goblin hiding behind the floor sending both of us flying to the floor. Kurgan attacked the hobgoblin and I followed. As the goblin tried to get up Tenkar brained him.

The hobgoblin tried to overmatch me and shove me into the forge but he miss-stepped and I easily pushed him away. While Kurgan and I fought the hobgoblin Alton moved the prisoners out of the way. Kurgan and I managed to kill the hobgoblin. Alton found some potions on the hobgoblin.

Sondor and Deven
I am taking a break writing this down while Alton and Tenkar talk to the two prisoners. The dwarven female’s name is Sondor and the human is named Deven. It turns out we have killed a hobgoblin named Zarkad. The human is unresponsive but Sondor related that she and her husband were captured and brought here to be sold into slavery. I am not sure what we are going to do with them. Maybe we will need to go back to the surface again.

Well we have moved on again and encountered another prisoner. Fonzig volunteered to take the two prisoners we found back to the surface. We moved on and found a large dining hall. In one chamber Tenkar and Kurgan stumbled over a pair of goblins. Kurgan managed to break his battleaxe when he missed one of the sneaky buggers. While Kurgan fought on with a hammer I managed to kill one of the goblins and Tenkar killed the other. We found another prisoner, a human cook named Gryffon Malek. He is suspiciously unchained and a little shifty but he offered to point us in the direction of the slave markets run by someone Gryffon calls Kazmojen.

The Slave Market
We enter the slave market and confront Kazmojen negotiating with pyllrak Shyraat the dwarf like creature. As we suspected the Slave Market was located behind the double doors where Tenkar was felled a day ago. We burst in and caught who we took to be Kazmojen bargaining to sell the children. Chained to poles on a platform were three of the missing children. It looked like Kazmojen was trying to sell them to a strange ashen skinned dwarf like creature.

Kazmojen was initially startled but quickly turned to threatening us in common. We were not impressed and quickly all of us were hurling insults at him. I ran toward the dwarf-like creature but Kaz moved up and took a swing at me missing. Tenkar moved up and attacked Kaz momentarily drawing him off me. In the confusion the dwarf-like creature vanished.

The double doors opened and more Hobgoblins arrived. When I turned to meet their rush Kaz whacked me in the back. We started yelling for Camlin who had stayed outside the room keeping an eye on Gryffon. He entered just in time to see a demonic dog covered in quills bring down Alton. Camlin acted quickly and cast a spell putting the hellish creature to sleep. Tenkar moved over to help Alton. Kurgan and I managed to hit Kaz repeatedly but he proved tough. Finally, Kurgan brought him down.

Feeling Dizzy
I was feeling very faint after Kaz fell so I gulped the potion that was a gift from the lady of the temple. Things started going hazy and I saw Kaz starting to move again. Thankfully Kurgan also saw the movement and turned to smash in his skull. Gathering a second wind I looked about and saw Camlin in trouble fending off some hobgoblins – I moved to help.
tegeus
tegeus

C&C Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  tegeus Thu 04 Jun 2009, 06:40

Mopping up
I turned around and went to help Camlin with the last hobgoblin in the chamber. Before I could finish him off another hobgoblin entered the chamber through the double doors. I suddenly was dealing with two hobgoblins both of whom seemed intent on killing Camlin. Thankfully Kurgan arrived and actually chopped the arm off one Hobgoblin at the shoulder... it kind of straightened up with a look of shock on its face. Before he could hit it again it fell over dead. The last hobgoblin paused as if to run and I took advantage of his plight running him through. That brought an end to the fight.

Quill removal
Tenkar was busy trying to help Alton during the last few moments of the fight. Alton dragged himself from the devil dog covered in quills and then passed out again. I tried not to watch as Tenkar carefully pulled the quills out of Alton. The poor Halfling passed out a few times during the process.

The Rescue
Now that everything was quiet we turned our attention to freeing the four children. One of the bolder ones, Terrem, asked if we planned to kill them. We assured him we were here to rescue them and Alton unlocked everyone. During our conversation with Terrem he let us know of some prison cells nearby to the west where there were other prisoners including Alton’s friend Maple. This started a small debate about whether to get out immediately or check for more prisoners. Eventually Gryyfon and Camlin volunteered to stay with the children while we checked out Terrem’s story. Just as we were ready to go, the body of Kazmojen started twitching so Kurgan used his axe to behead the corpse right in front of the children. Most of them seemed to numb to notice. Terrem asked to come with us and armed himself with a sword. We quickly put a stop to that idea. The body continued to twitch so we dragged it over to the forge and threw it in. Kurgan stripped the armour off the corpse before we destroyed it.

The Cells
The door to the west led to a strange, chamber and a bridge over a chasm. It looked like a fine place for a trap and we were all on our guard but Kurgan got impatient and stomped over the bridge mumbling something about “knowing Dwarven workmanship”. I guess the dwarves do not fill their homes with traps the way the gnomes did. On the other side of the bridge were a few doors and a pair of statues of dwarven warrior one male and one female. Terrem had indicated that it was south to the cells so we continued south through a pair of unoccupied rooms. Eventually we found the prison cells. In the cells were a number of unfortunate captives, Coryston Pike, Jeneer, Everdawn, Jasper, Krylscar, Irruth and Maple. Alton reunited with Maple and the last of the cakes were consumed.

To the Surface
For once we all walked out of Jzardirune to go to the Temple of St Cuthbert. I figured I would never be going back down there again (how wrong I was). Jenya was very happy to see us when she saw the missing children – she even gave grumpy Kurgan a big kiss. Camlin was fully healed by the Temple priests and he gave them a large donation. While recovering Alton sold the urgosh and armour we obtained from Kazmojen’s corpse. We also settled up with Jenya and left a split of the reward for the missing Fonzig. I had expected to meet him at the Temple but no one had seen him. As we waited for Camlin to recover Kurgan motioned for all of us to meet out of earshot of the priests. He was convinced there was a Dwarven Vault full of treasure in Jzardirune. I have to say I was sceptical but he felt he had a pretty good idea about where it would be located.

One more Descent into Jzardirune
As I said I was sceptical but everyone else seemed okay with descending again and Alton was concerned that we left no prisoners trapped below so I agreed to go along as we descended into Jzardirune yet again. We checked several rooms and found nothing and I was about ready to pack it in when we hit the mother lode.

The Dwarven Vault
I believe I’ll add a sentence to my rules to live by, “always believe a Dwarf when he tells you he is certain there is treasure about”. Or something along those lines. We entered a vile chamber with a throne made of skulls and located a secret door. Beyond was a chamber filled with chests, bowls and even shields full of gold and silver coins and other assorted treasure. There was also a lever on the south wall which we all avoided touching. It all looked like a trap so we were cautious about approaching the treasure. After a few minutes of being unable to find anything suspicious we decide to check the last few areas of the dungeon we had not entered looking for more prisoners. We figured we could pick up the treasure on the way out.

One Door too many
Alton just wanted to check behind one more door for more prisoners. The door led to a narrow corridor that as we walked along we began to hear digging and banging noises. Sure enough another of the horrible digging contraptions was upon us. We yelled the stop command but nothing happened and then an iron hammer came through a wall and really smashed Kurgan. He managed to get to his feet and we all just ran from there in a panic. There was no way we could stand against the thing.

The Gong Show
We ran back to the treasure room and decided to hell with traps we would just grab whatever we could carry. But as soon as Alton moved toward a chest a golden gong animated and struck him. A gong! - I am not making this up. Alton was knocked out and he stuck to an appendage coming out of the gong. I swung my sword at the gong and found my sword was also stuck fast to it. The Gong struck Tenkar and he stuck to it at his shoulder. I managed to pull my sword free and tried to make attacked only with the edge near the point but the gong kept moving and I kept missing. The gong also kept trying to bite Tenkar with a mouth near the center of the gong. Tenkar finally managed to pull free but his shoulder was raw and bleeding as part of his shoulder stayed stuck to the gong. Alton first tried pulling the lever on the wall and then blowing on a horn in the treasure pile but neither action did anything.

The gong decided to attack Camlin grabbing and trying to eat him. Luckily Kurgan was able to hit it twice and it finally collapsed to the floor in an enormous racket. We rapidly piled up all the treasure in the chests and dragged them out of Jzardirune. That is all for now. The entire Company feels the need for some rest and I think we are going to relax ABOVE ground for awhile in Cauldron.
tegeus
tegeus

C&C Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  tegeus Sat 30 Jan 2010, 05:32

Chapter 6

“You’re going back?”

I nodded and glanced at the Halfling. Lyzasser had one eyebrow raised as he looked at me. At my nod he shrugged his shoulders and starting preparing for the day. We had dragged Alton back to the boat yesterday before the sun went down. Olli’s concoctions had done the trick and Alton declared he was ready to go this morning. The debate on whether to return to the village had been brief, we were going back.

Looking up I could see that the weather was not going to cooperate. The morning brought a driving rainstorm and most of our group huddled under the awning set up in the center of the boat. I stood out in the rain letting it soak me to the skin. We would all be wet soon enough in the jungle. There was no place to shelter from the rain from here to the village.
We did decide that we needed a guard back at the boat now that we had raised the ire of the local kobolds along with the spiders. Leo volunteered to stay with Lyzasser. Tenkar instructed Deakon to stay with the boat with Leo over the younger Dwarf's protests.

Lyzasser moved out into the clearing where the boat was moored checking the snares and tripwires he had set up to protect the mooring. As he moved about puffs of pipe smoke followed him as he worked on a fresh pipe.

Shortly after sunrise Alton led the way off down the path to the village once again. I watched him carefully. He walked a little stiffly but otherwise the affects of the spider poison seemed to have worn off. Alton stopped, motioned for quiet and scanned the jungles. After a brief pause he motioned us forward.

“How are you feeling Alton?” I asked.
“A little numb, but at least I can stand up again, thanks for asking,” Alton said with a wry smile.
“Anyone has an idea for a new plan once we reach the village,” I asked looking about at everyone.
“Not until we find a more promising clue amongst the rubble,” opinioned Zorovar. Everyone else remained quiet. Alton looked at me and shrugged and set out again. Soon the familiar clearing of the village came into sight. The webs swaying over the huts glistened with light reflecting off of the rainwater soaking them. There was no movement in the village. It looked completely deserted. I was not fooled by the quiet.

Alton came back to where Zorovar, Tenkar and I were standing on the edge of the clearing, “Shall we approach the buildings or skirt further around?” Alton asked. I looked over the village again. It was a long walk around to the south side of the village following our previous route. I was getting impatient with finding this spider queen. It was time to try a different route.
“Let’s try working our way around the edge to the east,” I said.

There were no objections so Alton moved off to scout in front of us and we followed four or five paces behind the silent Halfling. After a few paces Alton raised his hand and pointed to the edge of the jungle. I could make out three boats resting under the boughs of the trees. The area around the boats was dark in the driving rain; anything could be hiding amongst them.
I motioned to Alton waving him forward.

“I guess Leo should have come to cover him,” I grumbled to Tenkar indicating the Halfling carefully advancing on the boats.
“We’ll be ready, lad,” Tenkar assured me and tapped Zorovar on the shoulder to let him know what was happening.
At the edge of the jungle, Alton disappeared in amongst the boats. The rain continued to pour down on the jungle with a dull roar. The normal jungle noises were strangely muted. After a few breaths Alton reappeared and made his way back to stand by me, I relaxed my grip on my sword.

“Just simple fishing boats full of gear,” Alton said.
Zorovar’s head jerked up with interest, “Gear? Boating and fishing gear?”
“Hmmm I need a new pole,” Olli whispered as he joined us.
“Yeah, just ordinary fishing junk,” Alton said impatiently. “If you want a new fishing pole we can get it later.”
“Right, let’s start moving toward those huts,” I said as I pointed at two large huts to the east.

Alton nodded and moved toward one of the large huts. Stepping carefully between the webs he moved up to the hut and slipped inside. I came up close to the webs but did not try to follow the much smaller Halfling. Looking about in the twilight caused by the dark, overcast clouds I noted that the rain looked like it was beginning to slacken.
Alton came out of the hut carrying a long, wooden pole. He tossed the pole to Olli. “Here you are Ollie,” he said. Olli looked over the fishing pole, smiled and gripped it tightly. “Why thank you Alton… this looks quite acceptable, may even find a fish or two.”
By the look Alton gave Olli I got the feeling he was kidding Olli but the apothecary seemed intent on carrying the fishing pole around with him. I was not about to begrudge him, he had been a dependable party member and had saved my skin a few times.
Galin looked at Olli in disbelief then back to Alton, “What else is in there, Alton?”
“Just a storage hut full of nets and fishing gear,” the Halfling said. “Shall we continue on?”
“Let’s go. Don’t like standing here in my wet boats,” said Tenkar squishing his boats to punctuate the statement. The dwarf was soaked to the skin and looked pale and miserable.
“I agree, let’s go on,” Galin said and stood up following Alton to the east.

Alton moved up to another shed. “Whew,” he said, “It’s full of rotting fish!” I moved up near Alton and looked into the open-sided shed. It was full of what was likely the village supply of fish. Apparently it had been several days since it was stored here and it was well into rot.
The hut was the furthest north and east hut in the village. From here our path led back to the south as we slowly circled the village. Alton started out in front again. Ahead I could make out a large palm with a lot of stones in the ground circling it. It had the look of a cemetery to my eyes. The ever present thick webbing that covered the entire village was a little thinner here.
“Graves” I said?
“”Maybe a cooking pit or something,” said Galin.
“I can squeeze through the webs and take a look,” offered Alton. “Go ahead, I will cover you,” Galin said and moved to stand near Alton.
“I am going to have a look… be ready to pull me through. They don’t look like any grave markers I have ever seen, but they do look organized in their placement,” Alton said then moved under a low hanging web and moved in toward the strange stones.
The Halfling moved closer to the stones paused and called back, “I think it is just a garden, all gone wild.” Olli looked up in interest and moved closer to get a better look. “The webs are blocking the sun, so it is in pretty sorry shape. Nothing useful here anymore,” Alton said. Olli shook his head sadly, “This garden has been withering for weeks… whatever was growing here, has long left this garden behind.” He puffed away at his pipe sadly and moved away.

Alton moved toward us carefully slipping through the webbing. Part way through the webs he stopped motionless. I moved forward to help free the Halfling but he shook his head and moved through the webs to join us.
“Quiet, I am sure I saw something move in the shadows of the jungle behind you,” Alton hissed. “I want to take a closer look.”
“Right, let’s move on,” I said loudly and as calmly as I could. As the five of us continued to the south Alton lingered behind and slipped silently into the jungle.
“Yell if you need help,” Tenkar whispered in the direction of the missing Halfling.
I moved toward a small hut not completely covered in spider webs which sat on the edge of the village and the edge of the ruins of the garden. Once in the shadow on the huts walls we all stopped. Silently as possible I eased my sword out of its scabbard and waited.
“Shouldn’t someone go along with him?” Galin questioned, nervously hefting his mace.
“We’d just make a lot of noise,” I said. “He can manage better on his own.” “Didn’t we just have to carry him back to the boat yesterday?” Zorovar asked. “He’ll be fine,” I scoffed.
“Perhaps we should be going in there?” Zorovar said looking to Galin. Galin looked at me then stepped quickly into the jungle. Tenkar made a motion to follow. “Hold it, not everyone!” I said with some exasperation. From some distance away we could here Galin calling out Alton’s name. The rain had finally come to a stop and the regular jungle noises muted the call somewhat.
“Alright, I am going to,” Zorovar said and stepped toward the jungle. Just then Alton and Galin reappeared on the edge of the clearing.
“Find anything?” I asked.
“Where did you go? We were worried about you?” Galin said to Alton as they walked up to the hut.
“Damn you and your cakes, why didn’t you answer lad?” Tenkar demanded.

Alton seemed surprised by all of the worry. “Hey I was only gone for a moment. But I was right; kobolds were watching us from just in the jungle to the east. They are still out there. “
“Damn!” I swore. With the kobolds in the jungle in numbers they were bound to attack us at just the moment we were attacked by more spiders. We needed to face one threat at a time. It looked like it was time to end the kobold threat and fight them in the jungle.
“Do we chase the kobolds into the jungle or continue on?” I asked.
“Why don’t we reason with them and try to enlist their help against the spiders?” asked Zorovar. I choked back a laugh at that suggestion. Kobolds were vicious little beasts that we killed like vermin back home in Brecon. There was no parlay asked or given.
To my surprise Tenkar got a thoughtful look on his face. “What, you are not taking this idea seriously are you Tenkar?” I demanded. “Killing is not always the answer Cadfan,” the Dwarf replied. “Perhaps we could enlist their help.”
“How do we know they are not working with the spiders,” I asked.
“Well… that does seem unlikely,” offered Olli in an uncertain voice. “If we had something to offer them in trade they might entertain our offer.”
“Right, and which of you can write in kobold,” I asked pointedly. That brought everyone to a pause. I glanced up at the sky. The sun was starting to show a little through the clouds but it was still overcast making the day darker than normal.

“Pictures!” Galin said.
I looked up; Galin had a look of triumph on his face. “What?” I asked.
“I can draw them a picture of what we want them to do!” Galin said excitedly and began digging in his pack. He pulled out a sheet of parchment and a charcoal stick.
“So what do we offer them?” Galin asked.
What indeed. This idea was just hare-brained enough that it might work. If nothing else it might puzzle the kobolds into confusion for a few hours. But we needed something to offer the kobolds like food. We only had just enough food for ourselves but I knew where there was a lot of food that might appeal to the kobolds.
“We give them the village’s supply of fish,” I said smacking my fist into my hand. Tenkar nodded in appreciation. Galin nodded and quickly scrawled out a crude drawing on the parchment showing the kobolds and our group fighting spiders and the kobolds receiving a reward of fish.
“Here, Alton. Take it back to the tree where you spotted the kobold standing,” Galin said handing the parchment to Alton. “One of them is bound to pick it up.”
Alton shrugged and took the offered note and disappeared into the jungle at a trot.
“Hopefully, he does not run into any trouble,” I said under my breath. It would be ironic if Alton had to fight kobolds to deliver a peace offering to them.

Galin looked at the village while we waited. “I think we can get in under the web here, maybe we should head into the center of the village.” The dim sunlight was raising steam from the wet webs which sagged over the entire village. The webs were especially slack over the nearby hut on the edge of the garden. It looked like we could indeed sneak under the webbing.
Tenkar looked intently into the jungle. “He is taking an awful long time again…”

After a short wait Alton emerged none the worse for wear from the jungle.
“Alton, how did it go?” Galin asked excitedly.
The Halfling carefully walked around the ruined garden and joined us in the shadow of the hut.
“Alright, the note is placed,” he said. “I had a harder time following the path this time and ended up at a small cave with a boar outside. Luckily, she didn’t notice me.”
“Such as it is, let us move on… we will only know if the kobolds will help us when we fight the spiders,” Galin said. “It is up to the kobolds now,” added Alton.
I shouldered my pack and drew my sword again. Galin’s note could not hurt us I reasoned. Now it was time to get moving before it got dark. I stopped as a strange, sweet smell wafted to my nose. From the look on Alton’s face I was not the only one who smelled it.
“Hmmm, Cakes!” Alton laughed and looked about with surprise.
“What is that smell?” asked Galin.
“I say it smells like honey,” said Alton, “hmmm, honey would be lovely on a cake. Let’s find the honey.” Alton ducked under the webs and headed toward the center of the village. “C’mon even Cadfan can fit under the webs here, let’s go,” he added.

I dropped to my knees and scurried under the lowest hanging webs. Now we were in the center of the village and completely under the webs. The last time I had been under the webs we got ambushed by spiders dropping from the web. I watched the webs carefully but I did not see any spiders or any movement. To my right was the door to the small hut we had sheltered behind. Ahead was a fenced in enclosure and between it and the hut was a wooden grate covering a pit.
“Look at that strange tree,” Alton exclaimed and pointed behind me. Rising in the center of the village in the middle of a deep, stone cistern stood a tall, straight palm tree. The tree did not resemble any type of palm I had seen before.
“The smell of honey is coming from that tree,” Alton said looking at the palm in wonder. I looked at the tree again looking for the source of the smell but could not see anything.
“Let’s check in the hut first,” Tenkar said. Reluctantly Alton turned back to the hut beside us, climbed onto the porch and opened the door. “Hmmm, lots and lots of bottles, and herbs and stuff.”
“Really?” Olli looked up interested. “Don’t touch anything Alton, let me look at it.” Olli walked quickly into the hut with Alton followed closely by Zorovar. “Don’t break anything, Alton,” I could hear Olli say.
Alton came out of the hut tired of looking at the bottles. “Did they find anything?” I asked. Alton looked back at the hut and said, “There are a lot of bottles, they are bound to find something interesting.”

Galin moved off toward the wooden grate in the ground. “Guys check out this pit.” Alton and I walked over to stand near Galin. The wooden grate was locked with a metal latch and covered a pit in the ground. The pit was only about my height in depth and looked to be full of garbage and leaves.
“Maybe we should search it,” Galin said and began fiddling with the latch.
“I think it is a prison for the village, we should leave it alone,” I said. Galin looked at the pit with renewed interest, but nodded in agreement. “Okay, let’s take a look at this odd tree… I don’t like the looks of it.”

Leaving Olli and Zorovar exploring the hut the four of us approached the palm. The palm rose at least 60 feet out of the cistern, its trunk at least five feet in diameter. Stranger still was the cistern in which it was planted. As we walked closer I could see that the cistern was actually a deep pit in the ground. The strange palm apparently grew out of the bottom of the pit. As we walked closer, the smell of honey grew stronger and I could see more clearly into the pit, the bottom of which was clogged with spider webs.
“Beware giant bees lads,” said Tenkar.
“Be careful, I don’t like that large tree, something could be hiding in the top,” cautioned Galin. He slowed three paces from the tree and readied his mace.
Alton seemed less concerned, “It’s a palm tree, so hiding would be difficult, but the size and the honey smell are indeed troubling. It really is a wonderful palm!”
The smell of honey was indeed clearly coming from the top of the palm. The fronds, and husks at the top were large enough to hide a beehive or something worse.
“We should ask Olli if there is a spider that uses the scent of honey,” I said.
“Hey Olli, having fun?” Alton called out to the hut.
“Well… yes… so much here to study,” Olli answered. “I found some interesting things; some may help with wounds and some other things of course…”
“Are there any spiders that use the scent of honey to trick their prey?” Alton asked. “Hmm,” Olli mused and strode out of the hut to look at the palm, “well, the spiders from around here certainly would not like it… more like a defense mechanism of some kind.” He pondered this for a moment than went back into the hut.
“They don’t like it?” Alton asked. “Why are they here than,” he asked no one in particular.

Olli and Zorovar joined the rest of us over in the clearing around the enigmatic palm. Both were carrying a number of herbs and bottles found in the hut. Olli sat down and started arranging his new finds in his pack.
“So… what do you think Olli?” Alton asked pointing at the palm. Olli paused, sniffing the air and his expression grew quizzical as if just noticing the honey smell for the first time.
“Perhaps it is some kind of honey-producing palm. It would not be real honey but some kind of sap that smells of honey. The leaves might be soaking in this oil or sap.” Turning to the group he asked, “Perhaps you could get me a sample?”
“I didn’t bring my ten foot pole,” I said as I backed away from the palm. There was something creepy about this palm.
“You could use my fishing pole,” Olli suggested helpfully. Zorovar took Olli’s fishing pole and looked at it. “You have no line, Olli. How do you plan to reach sixty feet in the air?”
“Right,” Olli said shaking his head, “That won’t work.”
Galin strode up to the edge of the cistern reached over to the palm and started shaking the trunk. The palm shook back and forth. “Perhaps I can shake a leaf loose,” he said.
I looked up hopefully. All of the leaves seemed firmly attached at the crown of the palm. As I watched at dark shape moved at the top of the palm.
“Look out,” I yelled. Gasps of warning also came from Alton and Tenkar. Galin leaped back from the palm and looked upward. “What was that, guys?”
“I couldn’t see anything,” Alton said, “just movement.”
“Someone shoot it with an arrow,” I said as I had a good suspicion what was behind the movement. “There is a spider in the top of that tree,” I said firmly and readied my sword. Looking around I realized that Leo had the only bow in the group. There was no way my spear was going to reach the top of the palm.
“Let’s not be so hasty, Cadfan.” Alton said looking up at the palm. He moved closer to the palm and I saw movement again. “There, again… it moved!” I yelled.
“Heh, it is just scared of us,” Tenkar laughed.
“Hello tree! Can you understand me?” yelled Alton cupping his hands to his face. He waited expectantly than turned and looked at us questioningly. “Please flap a leaf if you can hear me.”
“Are you talking to a tree Alton?” I said shaking my head. “I am certain there is a spider up in there.”

“Why don’t I throw a rock at it?” I said to the group. Alton heard me and stood frustrated with his hands on his hips. “No, I will use my sling. I can throw a rock a lot further,” he said. Alton readied a stone in his sling and looked at the palm carefully. Swinging the sling overhead he let go the stone which flew up, missed the palm and disappeared into the village.
“Just getting my range,” he muttered angrily. Alton spread his feet and swung the sling over his head again taking careful aim. The stone flew through the air and struck the palm trunk well below the crown, then rebounded back towards us.
“I better ready my shield,” Tenkar grumbled as he took cover. The Halfling shot him a dirty look and fired at the palm again striking the leaves at the top. A moment after the stone struck a huge blue spider erupted from the top of the palm looking around than disappeared back into cover.
“Damn, you were right Cadfan,” Galin swore.

“Okay, now I mean business,” Alton said and fired another stone at the palm hitting the leaves at the top again. The spider again appeared and ducked back into cover. On the next solid hit the spider did not show itself.
“I think it had too much cover, we will never get it out of there this way,” I said. Alton nodded and put away his sling. I took my trusty spear out of my pack and looked at the palm. The leaves were probably just within my range but I doubted I could get enough muscle behind a throw straight up to do any damage. I shoved the spear point in the dirt to have it ready.
“We could try smoking it out,” I said. “Hmmm,” Alton mused and looked around for dry wood. “That’s not a bad idea, perhaps just a fire at the base of the tree,” added Zorovar.
“Back to the smoking huts to look for material?” Alton said wearily. While Zorovar and I watched the palm warily, the rest hurried over to the hut with the smoked fish and came back with piles of firewood. “We cannot just throw it in the cistern,” Galin said looking doubtfully down into the deep pit in the ground. Alton dropped his load of wood onto the ground.
“We can start a fire slightly upwind and smoke the top of the palm!” Zorovar said and raised a finger to the air to check the wind direction. “About 5 paces to the west of the palm should do it.”

Tenkar arranged the wood in a large pile and started a fire; soon we had fire and smoke leaping toward the palm.
“Please take care not to actually burn the tree,” Alton said. “Just be ready with your sling Alton and don’t worry about the tree,” I said.

The smoke and ash blew up into the air toward the top of the tree. Zorovar’s calculations were correct and soon the crown of the palm was enveloped in black smoke. After a minute the fronds started to shake and then the huge spider leaped out of the palm onto the many webs over the village making a scramble to the north. It was huge, at least ten feet in length. The webs strained under the weight of the huge spider. Yelling we all took after it, I flung my spear and missed while Alton fired with his sling and struck it.
“Fire away Alton!” I yelled.
The spider shifted directions as a web strand broke beneath it. Then without warning it tumbled 20 feet to the ground striking the side of a hut and falling into the dirt in front of us.

Yelling Galin and I ran forward to attack. I swung at the bulbous center of the spider and it danced out of the way. Galin swung and struck a leg weakly. Tenkar rushed up and swung and missed the spider as well. The spider rushed forward at me a bit down on my leg, to close to be hit with my sword I pushed at its head with my free hand feeling its coarse haired head in my hand. I felt a sharp sting on my leg as Galin stuck it from behind. The spider spun and moved toward Galin.
Looking down I could see a gash on my leg with mingled blood and venom spreading over my tunic. I could feel the poison burning in my leg. Well, hopefully the anti-venom I took earlier in the day was working I thought and advanced grimly after the spider.
The spider struck Galin and dragged him to the ground. Tenkar struck it in the head with a solid blow and I stabbed and struck it in the middle. The spider staggered backward from Galin who slumped to the ground.
“Olli, check on Galin,” I yelled and saw the apothecary nod and run toward the stricken cleric.
The spider dragged itself toward Tenkar who retreated slowly, waving at it to get its attention. As it turned it exposed its entire open side to me and I did not wait, slashing deeply with my sword. The spider thrashed almost dragging the sword from my hand. It pulled away from us but then curled up in a ball and stopped moving.

“Phew,” Tenkar said and rested his hands on his hips. “I thought you were not going to get the opening there for a moment, Cadfan.”
“Bravely, played Tenkar,” I said and nodded to the Dwarf who had provided the bait.
“Olli, how is Galin. I have some anti-venom if you need it,” I said worriedly. Olli shook his head and continued to clean the wound on Galin’s hip. “No need, he will pull through,” he said. I looked down at Galin. He was motionless and looked dead and his skin was a pasty grey colour.
“Or you sure Olli,” I asked.
“I am sure,” he said,”I am getting to be an expert on spider bites. He won’t be able to move for a day and he needs more treatment but he will survive.”
“We need to get back to the boat,” Alton said and pointed at the darkening sky. It was late afternoon and I had no desire to get caught out in the open after dark.
Tenkar and I picked up Galin between us and Alton lead the way back to the boat.

#

“Their coming,” Deakon called out from the boat. I looked up and saw Leo and Deakon waiting from the ramp onto the boat. Soon, Lyzasser’s head popped up smoking away at his pipe. He pulled the pipe out and knocked it on the boards. “I see you have met with some adventures again.”
tegeus
tegeus

C&C Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Cadfan's Journal Empty November Journal Entry

Post  tegeus Thu 25 Nov 2010, 06:11

"What you drawing", Alton asked peering over Cadfan's shoulder.

"It's that statue thing that caused you so much trouble", the burly woodsmen replied.

"Mmmm, you really cannot draw can you?", Alton asked.

"Fine!"the woodsmen yelled and threw his charcoal into the bushes.

"Hey, calm down Cadfan!", Alton urged.

So its time to update Cadfan's Journal.

With us taking several weeks between sessions I need the notes to remind me what we were doing.

Hi, my names Clarence
We have decided finally to head off to find the Umeshti Crater deep in the jungles. A place reputed to be the home of
necromancers, cannibals and the dead. Why. Because it seems like a good place to find more treasure I guess. There was some mention that the abbot of the temple disappeared there or something.

Preparing in Redgorge we argued a bit about how much gear to bring and whether to use porters. I was set to hire a group
to carry my gear but then misplaced a fair portion of my loot and decided to save what was left. Alton actually ended up hiring a porter
called Clarence of all things. Seems okay it a bit dense. On our first day he was almost hit by a flying tree trunk. Not fault of his I guess.

Obviously this is a trap
After several days travel, Alton and Leo insisted in wandering off into the jungle away from the trail insisting they could
here someone calling to them. Eventually, Tenkar was convinced to wander away as well. Certain it was a trap I stayed with the horses,
and Deakon (and Clarence and Briley).

Koo-Koo Kukuro
Eventually, Tenkar came to fetch me as he insisted the others were not actually in trouble but had found something
interesting. He led me to an ugly statue of a man with a bird head. The statue was talking byt kept saying the same thing, "Save my egg"or something and "save my people". Apparently someone named the worm-whisperer who lives in a nearby cave stole the egg thing.

Guys I think I have a problem
Koo-koo actually offered Alton a magic mask if he would go into a nearby cave and locate the missing egg. Alton agreed and put the mask on which allowed him to fly but unfortunately he discovered he could not take off the mask! A little note Koo-koo had not mentioned. He looked really funny in the mask as well.

Fly away
Leo led the way deeper into the earth following a winding tunnel. Eventually we came to an unclimbable cliff. But not a barrier for Alton who flew up to the top and dropped down a rope for us to climb up.

More to Come...
tegeus
tegeus

C&C Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down